What sunflower seed oil is?
Sunflower seed oil is the oil extracted from the seeds of the sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) and contains triglycerides, with a high linoleic acid content.
What properties sunflower seed oil has?
Sunflower has already demonstrated important cosmetological potential for many centuries. Indeed, molecular characterization of sunflower seed oil has revealed the presence of different active ingredients that are effective in cosmetology, such as:
- Vitamin A, D and E;
- Unsaturated fatty acids, particularly oleic and linoleic acids;
- Vitamin B6;
- Minerals such as iron, copper, phosphorus, manganese and Zinc;
- Fat-soluble antioxidants.
The high percentage of polyunsaturated fatty acids makes it particularly susceptible to oxidation and rancidity so it is useful to supplement it with antioxidants such as tocopherol (vitamin E).
Contrary to popular belief because of its predominant use in cooking, sunflower oil is present in a great many cosmetic products. The usefulness of this ingredient in cosmetology would be attributed:
- to the lipid fraction, which is very similar to the superficial skin lipid film, necessary to prevent transcutaneous water loss, thus maintaining a proper state of hydration;
- to the presence of triterpene alcohols, capable of controlling oxidative damage induced by reactive oxygen species;
- to the presence of zinc, capable of protecting and revitalizing skin adnexa;
- to the presence of fat-soluble vitamins with antioxidant activity, which are important in preserving cytoarchitecture and preventing possible cellular transformations.
Sunflower oil is therefore an incredible ally and can also be a fundamental support at the formulation level to give greater stability to cosmetic products. An all-natural ally!
Sunflower oil is used in some of Gen-Hyal’s most popular formulations such as in:
- Gen-Hyal ELARGAN: recommended for the treatment of dry, hypotonic or combination skin.
- Gen-Hyal EYES: an eye contour serum with natural active ingredients with a marked draining and smoothing action.
- Gen-Hyal Bioactive LIP CARE: A daily lip treatment with natural active ingredients able to prevent chapping and redness.